After an individual has a blood draw, a bruise might seem. Bruising isn’t an unusual incidence, however it may be uncomfortable.
On this article, we focus on why bruises might seem after a blood draw, when to see a physician, and the right way to cut back the probability of a bruise occurring.
When a healthcare skilled attracts blood, they insert a small, hole needle by way of the pores and skin to entry a vein. This process quickly damages the blood vessel wall and the outermost layer of pores and skin.
Bruising happens when blood from the broken vein leaks out and settles underneath the pores and skin.
Some individuals might bruise extra simply than others.
Some causes of straightforward bruising embody:
In response to the World Well being Group (WHO), bruising after a blood draw sometimes heals shortly. Nevertheless, if the bruise is massive, it might take 2–3 weeks to fade and disappear.
An individual ought to name their physician in the event that they expertise any of the next symptoms:
- the hand turning into discolored
- numbness or tingling within the arm or hand that doesn’t go away inside a couple of hours
- worsening redness and inflammation on the puncture website
- extreme ache on the puncture website
- swelling that worsens as a substitute of enhancing
If an individual is not sure whether or not their signs are typical, they need to name a physician or search medical consideration.
An individual can take a number of steps to cut back the possibility of a bruise occurring.
- Asking for a small needle: The WHO recommend utilizing butterfly or 22-gauge needles for blood attracts within the aged.
- Making use of stress: Apply agency stress to the puncture website after the elimination of the needle, and preserve the protecting bandage on for at the very least 6 hours afterward.
- Avoiding strenuous exercise: An individual mustn’t raise heavy objects instantly after a blood draw.
- Refraining from sporting tight clothes: Tight clothes might forestall the blood from circulating and place additional stress on the veins, resulting in a bigger bruise.
- Making use of a chilly compress: Doing this may occasionally cut back discomfort.
A bruise might seem to unfold out in form and measurement because it heals. Over time, it might change shade from blue-black to inexperienced after which to yellow earlier than fading.
To alleviate any discomfort, an individual can strive:
- Taking ache relievers: An individual can take acetaminophen, however they need to keep away from ibuprofen and aspirin for 24 hours after the blood draw.
- Making use of a chilly compress: A chilly compress might assist relieve ache.
- Remaining hydrated: Consuming loads of water and consuming a small snack after a blood draw might help an individual preserve their power.
Bruising after a blood draw is frequent and never sometimes a trigger for concern. Nevertheless, if an individual does expertise extreme discomfort, they need to search medical consideration.
Taking some preventive steps, equivalent to making use of stress to the puncture website and refraining from lifting heavy objects, might help cut back the possibility of a bruise showing.